- Who started "REcycle" project ? How did the “REcycle” idea came about ?
"REcycle" idea has been started by Vyacheslav Stoyanov and his adventures:
" I've been traveling for almost seven years and have visited a lot of different countries in the world. I've seen luxury and misery. Nevertheless, the most uncomfortable thing for me was the low culture and consumerism, which are responsible for harming the nature and polluting our planet.
All the time, while riding my bicycle through the wonders of nature, I was encountering illegal junkyards and single serving plastic. I was thinking about all the fancy wraps, whose purpose is to make us buy the stuff inside. They are a terrible view in the nature.
I wanted to share that great positive feeling, which I was getting from riding my bicycle. However, I also wanted to share my concerns about the wellbeing of the planet. This is how I decided to realize my first serious expedition “REcycle,” taking part along the shores of Black Sea. The name is a play on the words bicycle, cycling and recycling.
The main idea of the expedition was to encourage the countries, sharing the shores of the sea, to keep it clean. In addition, to start recycling, to destroy the illegal junkyards, and to start using the bicycle as a main mean of transportation... "
- What happened after the “Recycle” expedition ?
2009 - "REcycle Expedition", Greece coast
2010 - Cycling Relay-race around the Mediterranean sea
2011 - "Cycle Safe Marathon" Bulgaria
2011 - "Cycle Safe Expedition", Netherlands and Belgium
2011 - "Cycle Safe", cycle for social events: "Sofia cycling morning"; "Sofia cycling night".
2011 - Sofia Green Tour www.sofiagreentour.com
2012 - Sofia Bike Rental
2013 - Sofia Run
2013 - "40 UNDER 40" - Vyacheslav is one of the Bulgarian Young Leaders (here)
2014 - "Cycle Safe" expedition, Turkey
2014 - The book "REcycle Expedition" (here)
- How the project “REcycle” grew into “Cycle for recycle” ?
The main idea is to make a web of people all around the world, who already are using the bicycle as a way of transportation. These people can help in engaging more and more new people to start following their example, to begin sharing their activities and projects related to bicycle riding and recycling in their own countries.
- What is the goal of “Cycle for recycle” ?
The idea is that, when the people in the world are riding their bicycles, they should have the clear understanding that they are helping to keep the world clean. The goal is to unite not only organizations but people, who are working in the same direction and want to give a positive personal example to the young ones.
“Cycle for Recycle” is the change we want to encourage in people with our personal example.
Let’s everybody start thinking about the nature and the planet.
About Cycle Americas Expedition
- When will we attempt the Cycle Americas expedition?
We will start at 01.06.2015, and will finish in the spring of 2017.
We will cross the Americas by bicycles. The start is on 01.06.2015, from Deadhorse, Alaska. We will visit all countries in North and South America. The final destination is Ushuaia, Argentina, in the spring of 2017. The route of the expedition covers over 60,000 km, for which not even one drop of oil will be spent and no harmful gases will be released into the atmosphere. During our trip we will invite everybody willing to participate to ride a bike with us. Anyone can decide for how long and from where to join us and will organize their personal budget. We will get help for this from the cycling clubs, with which we are working in partnership. They will spread the call among its members and will share it on their communication channels.
- What is our objective?
We want to accomplish much more than just an ecological revolution. We want to awaken a process of self – awareness in people in order for everyone to understand that they are an important and an integral part of the future of the planet. We want to challenge people to ask themselves the crucial questions and therefore achieve change and start working for a more positive society where everyone cares for each other and thus for the planet. On our route we are also going to cycle through wild places where a human foot rarely steps. We are going to challenge ourselves in climbing mountains and going through rough terrains. We are going to look for native tribes and will share their knowledge and respect for nature.
- Why are we doing Cycle Americas expedition? Elaborate on the style in which we will attempt our endeavor.
We are doing this because we are all used to always be nurtured by Mother Earth, but she already has too many children. The motto of the mission is "Recycling of thinking in favor of environmental protection." We have chosen bicycles because when a person is making their own effort to accomplish something they think a lot more about actions and consequences. The easy life the society is seeking is destroying our connection with the Nature and our respect for the planet and ourselves.
- What is the history behind our endeavor? Who has gone Cycle Americas before us? When? What did they do?
- Greg Siple who made the trip from Alaska to Argentina in the year of 1972 with his wife and another couple and after that they started the “American Cycling Organization” in Montana. Now they are providing bicycle maps.
- Stacey Gibson at 2009, riding to raise money for the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- In 2005, Brooks Allen and Gregg Blakney rode from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego to raise money for Diabetes.
- MichielRoodenburg and JoostNotenboom in the year of 2010 rode bamboo bicycles, raised awareness on the global water crisis and fundraised for water projects in Latin America.
- Billy Lavelleat 2012 did it to raise money for Trócaire’s work in Latin America.
- Philippe Jacq went on the journey in 2005 and he wrote a book about it.
- Mark Beaumont who did an expedition in 2010; he climbed the highest peaks (Denali and Aconcagua) within a single climbing session.
- The Vogel cycling family started their trip also from Deadhourse in 2008, their sons made a record for the youngest people cycling through both continents.
- What is succeeding in this proposed endeavor?
We are not scientists, ecologists, social scientists or athletes with great achievements. We're just dreamers who never give up in the face of challenges. What we have is our travel experience. We have learned that when a person is traveling they are achieving more honest and personal communication with people. And they seek contact and show interest in your sense of adventure. We are both artists who know that everything you put your infinite love and effort in is an art. Life itself is also an art, as long as you appreciate and cherish it as something sacred. Therefore we have to respect and protect all its forms and pass the message to the future generations.
“Cycle Americas” is a first big project of the “Cycle for Recycle”
During the expedition we are going to raise money for the Grant, for the best project which is going to save the Nature globally. The budget for the grant will be very big and will motivate a lot of people from all around the world to apply for it. That's way we will have a lot of followers on our website: www.cycle4recycle.com
We are from a small country, which is not popular worldwide, but we believe that regardless of where you are, the important thing is how wide your eyes are open for life. Ultimately, great deeds are achieved by ordinary people.